Thursday, July 9, 2015

Weathered Gray Coffee Table

Hey friends.
 
Thanks to my love, I'm becoming more and more comfortable with sanding and staining furniture. It's really taking Number Fifty-Three in a new direction, furniture wise, as I am now able to take on way more diversified projects.
 


 
I have to say, I've had a few flops and a few frustrations with getting a nice, clean, smooth surface that will willingly take stain.
 
 
 
This coffee table was one of the first pieces I successfully tackled on my own.
 
 
 
Once I completely sanded the finish off the top with 60 grit sandpaper, I went over it all again with 120 grit. I think it's the latter that really makes the difference.
 
I stained the top with a weathered gray stain. I absolutely love it. It's a perfect combination of farmhouse and beachy.
 
 
 
The entire base, including the slatted shelf (and yes, it was a complete PITA to paint), is done in a deep gray chalk paint.
 
I picked the chalk paint because I really didn't want to deal with massive amounts of prep...can you imagine how long it would have taken to fully sand that shelf!
 
Anyway, once dry, I gave the base a bit of distressing to blend in with the weathered feel.
 
 
 
 
I'll be sharing lots more of the stained/paint combos in the near future as my appreciation for wood grain continues to grow and grow!
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by Number Fifty-Three! I look forward to your comments.