Thursday, October 13, 2016

DIY Wood Candlesticks

Earlier this week I was testing out some decorating ideas for the holiday season (yes, I know...way too early, but Christmas is not entirely my thing so I need plenty of planning time).

Anyway, I'm kind of smitten with these super easy wood candlesticks I made. I intend to do more, in various sizes, but I thought I would share my first batch with you all....BTW, totally thinking these would be amazing for Thanksgiving on either my dining table or mantel.


Supplies:  2"x2"x3' poplar wood turning square, measuring tape and pencil, stain of your choice, sandpaper, drill, 3/4" spade bit.



Start out by cutting your wood to the desired length. I was able to get three candlesticks out of the one piece of wood.  Using a measuring tape and pencil mark the center of one end of the wood. Then, drill a hole for the candle using the spade bit. Next, sand each candlestick...note: I rounded the edges on mine for a more intentionally worn feel. Lastly, I stained each piece and let dry.



You can just stop the project right here, but I wanted that mix of modern with old that I adore so much so I dripped candle wax down the candlesticks.

I started by lighting the candles and just trying to wait. But, I'm impatient. And, I don't think that dripless candles actually drip, so I ended up tilting a lit candles and having the wax melt down where I wanted it. Use caution with this if you decide to do this too.




When I come up with a project I love when they can universally fit into everyone's décor.  These can go from modern to farmhouse to antique just by your use of finish and type of candles. 











If you liked my DIY Wood Candlesticks you may also like...

Gold Gilded & Stained Wood Coffee Table Tray



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by Number Fifty-Three! I look forward to your comments.