Thursday, October 6, 2016

Turning Antique Bakery Carts into Usable Storage

You might remember a couple of months ago we bought an antique bakery cart for our dining room (here). I had been looking for one almost since around the time we bought the farmhouse, about a year ago. So, I was super excited when I found this one at a great price, with chippy paint in the perfect color and that was still in sturdy condition.

I had it decorated really simply, because honestly, the shelving is quite challenging to work with. They are all dowels, some of which roll and all of which are bowed from years of use. I'm not at all complaining, because I couldn't be more in love with the history that are behind these old pieces.



But, I need versatility. I, maybe too frequently, love to change up my styling. So, last week I decided to add wood planks on top of the existing shelf braces and I couldn't be more thrilled with the results. Also, it was super inexpensive and simple (both things that are a must with me).



The week prior to me doing this update I was at Home Depot looking for wood for my Gold Gilded & Stained Wood Coffee Table Tray and my Modern Stained Wood & Acrylic Book Ends and I found the most rustic, under $4 for 8 feet, barn board looking wood and I,  1. fell in love, and 2. began plotting future projects using it. (BTW, I purchased the 1"x8"x8' utility board.)

So, you can completely ask the guys at the store to cut this to length for you, as I attempted because I didn't want to drag multiple 8 foot boards home and I had been sick for nearly two weeks and thought it would just be easier. It wasn't. Sadly. I ended up dragging the boards home and cutting them myself because I needed 37" and they cut 35" and were confused when I said I couldn't use them. Sigh.

Anyhow, one other slight hiccup was that the boards aren't quite wide enough for my shelves. I solved that by placing the full board at the front of the shelf and then cutting strips to add to the back using a circular saw. It adds to the rustic feel. Also, Darrell cut the strips because I don't quite trust my skills with that particular tool just yet.



I'm so in love with the results! What do you all think? I just feel like this will be a million times more enjoyable to style, as I now have flat surfaces to work with.


It also let me add in a few modern touches which is fantastic because modern mixed with antiques is really, really my thing.












If you liked my Gold Gilded & Stained Wood Coffee Table Tray you may also like...


Modern Halloween Inspired Antique Ottoman

Blogger Stylin' Home Tour: Fall Edition

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by Number Fifty-Three! I look forward to your comments.