Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Modern Wood and Acrylic Bookends

This post was originally shared at Jennifer Rizzo Design Company.

I am so excited to share this modern little craft with you all!

I have long loved the combination of antique with modern and I think this little area of my living room perfectly embodies that.







Lately, I've been wanting to add some old books to the top of my heirloom secretary desk and brainstormed these cool, modern bookends to keep them in place.



Supplies:  Two pieces of wood (we used poplar) cut to the approximate size of your books (our dimensions were 6" x 8.5"), stain or paint of your choice, drill and bit, four square or rectangle furniture knobs, reciprocating saw (optional based on the hardware you're using).

First, cut your wood to size and stain or paint to your desired color.  Next, measure the placement of your knobs. You want the bottom of them to be level with the bottom of your wood, as this is what will hold the bookends up.  Drill holes and add the hardware. Our knobs have long screws that extended from the hardware out. Because they were too long, we used a reciprocating saw to cut off the excess. If you have to do this be careful!



Even though I paint furniture for a living, I truly love stained wood. The grain in this poplar is so pretty and contrasts just beautifully with the gilded acrylic knobs.
 
 

I love decorating with chalkboard painted vintage books and the entire feel of black + white + stained wood.



If you'd like to see my tutorial for chalkboard painted books you can check it out here.




I kept the rest of the desk decorated pretty neutrally for fall with some simple white pumpkins and an oak branch from my yard.












If you liked my Modern Wood and Acrylic Bookends you may also like...

Modern Halloween Inspired Antique Ottoman

Blogger Stylin' Home Tour: Fall Edition

1 comment:

  1. An excellent information provided thanks for all the information i must say great efforts made by you. thanks a lot for all the information you provided.
    https://xuonghoanggia.vn
    https://xuonghoanggia.com
    https://tubephoanggia.com.vn
    https://tubepgoancuong.vn/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by Number Fifty-Three! I look forward to your comments.